The spiral beanie is a beginner friendly and quick to work up knitting pattern. This pattern uses a bulky wool blend yarn making the hat warm and quick to work up.
This hat pattern is slightly slouchy and is extra stretchy due to the stitch pattern. A perfect hat if you like a looser fitting hat. The spiral knit hat is fun to work up and looks good in any colour. Try mixing it up and making the brim of the hat a different colour than the body of the hat.
*this post may contain affiliate links. Meaning if you purchase something through one of these links I may earn a small commission and no extra charge to you.*
Spiral Beanie Pattern
- 8mm (US 11) 16″ circular needle
- 9 mm (US 13) 16″ Circular needle
- 9mm DPN’S
- Stitch Marker
- 1 skein bulky yarn (level 6) – I used lion Bran Wool-Ease Thick and Quick
- Optional: Pom Pom Maker or fur pom pom
You can purchase faux fur pom poms in my shop here!
- This pattern is written for an adult if you would like other sizes please purchase the inexpensive PDF version here.
- Pattern is created in multiples of 4
- If you would like the beanie to be more slouchy knit extra rounds to increase the length of the hat.
- If you would like the hat to be less slouchy decrease the number of rounds you knit.
k2tog: Knit 2 together
* Repeat anything in the asterisk until end of the round
2.25 stitch/ 1 inch x 3 rows/ 1 inch
Using 8mm circular knitting needles cast on 44 stitches. Join in the round.
Brim of the hat
Row 1-6: *K1, P1*
Body of the hat
Switch to 9mm needles
Row 7: *Knit 3, p1*
Row 8: *Knit 3, p1*
Row 9: P1, *K3, P1*, K3
Row 10: P1, *K3, P1*, K3
Row 11: K1, P1, *K3, P1*, K2
Row 12: K1, P1, *K3, P1*, K2
Row 13: K2, P1 *K3, P1*, K1
Row 14: K2, P1 *K3, P1*, K1
Row 15-22: Repeat rows 7-14
Row 23-28: Repeat rows 7-12
Row 29: *K2, K2tog* (33 sts)
Row 30: Knit all the way around (33 sts)
SWITCH TO DPN’s
Row 31: *k1, k2tog* (22 sts)
Row 32: *k2tog* (11 sts)
Cut a long tail and weave through the remaining stitches on the needle to close off.
Weave in ends and you’re done! Now you can add a pom pom if you would like. You can purchase faux fur pom poms here!
Follow me on instagram! @thenorthernmoose
This pattern is an original pattern by Meg Hardison of The Northern Moose. Please do not claim this pattern as your own. Please do not reprint this pattern on your site. You may keep a copy of the pattern for your own personal use, but please do not sell the pattern or distribute it.
You may sell products made from this pattern but please clearly credit the design to me Meg Hardison and link back to The Northern Moose Blog. Permission is not granted for mass production or factory manufacturing of any kind. Thank you for being respectful and for your understanding!